Discover the benefits of a tummy tuck treatment in Orange County
By Thomas T. Nguyen, M.D
Extreme weight loss or pregnancy may result in an unwanted abdominal pouch. Generally considered a cosmetic procedure, a tummy tuck treatment also offers patients medical and overall health benefits. Located in Fountain Valley, Dr. Thomas Nguyen and Dr. Han Hoang offer tummy tuck treatment to patients in the Orange County area.
Tummy tuck procedure
An unwanted belly bulge may be caused by sagging skin and excess fat. Also called an abdominoplasty or tummy reduction surgery, a tummy tuck removes the stretched skin and fat from the abdominal area. If muscles have been damaged, weak, or separated, they are corrected to create a smooth, firm profile.
Many people want a flat, toned abdomen. Diet and exercise may not be enough to achieve the desired body shape. Even patients who are at their ideal body weight may have a bulging or sagging belly. Common causes of an abdominal pouch may include:
Tummy tuck treatment is performed after extreme weight loss or pregnancy. Weight gain causes the skin to stretch to accommodate the new changes. The skin stretches slowly. When the same person loses significant weight suddenly, the skin does not have the same elasticity to snap back to its original form. The end result is loose, sagging skin. A tummy reduction surgery removes the excess fat and skin, repairs the muscles of the abdominal wall, and tightens the skin. The procedure is effective for men and women.
- Prior surgery
- Significant weight change
Benefits of a tummy tuck treatment
Often associated with mommy makeovers or to restore a woman’s figure after a pregnancy, a tummy tuck also helps patients who have lost a significant amount of weight in a short period of time. The number of abdominoplasties has increased in recent years. Although many procedures are performed for cosmetic reasons, there are medical and aesthetic benefits.
- Improvement in abdominal tone - Weight loss and pregnancy change the abdominal wall. The muscles stretch, weaken, or become swollen. Diet and exercise may not be enough to correct the damage. A tummy tuck tightens the weakened muscles and removes the excess fat and skin to produce a flatter, more toned abdomen.
- Better posture - Weak abdominal muscles can change an individual’s posture. Surgically tightening the muscles helps support the spine and improve the posture. With improved muscle tone, patients may notice a relief in any back pain felt prior to a tummy tuck treatment.
- Ventral hernia correction - It is possible for a weakened abdominal wall to allow a hernia to form. A ventral hernia results when the intestine or abdominal tissue breaks through the abdominal wall. The procedure to correct a ventral hernia is similar to an abdominoplasty. When the weakened muscles are corrected, the result is less pressure on the skin. A hernia repair can be combined with a tummy tuck. It is safe, helps prevent future hernias, and reduces expenses and recovery time when the procedures are done at the same time.
- Reduction in stress urinary incontinence - For some women, childbirth causes them to develop stress urinary incontinence. Patients may experience urine leakage or problems with bladder control caused by coughing, sneezing, exercising, and laughing. A tummy tuck can improve the problem. Soft tissue near the pelvic area creates a slight bladder obstruction which reduces incontinence.
What to expect
It is important to have realistic goals and expectations for any procedure, the recovery period, and the results. During the initial consultation, the surgeon reviews the patient’s medical history and current health. The individual’s size, shape, and unique needs help determine whether a full or mini tummy tuck is appropriate.
Call our office for more information
A recovery period and downtime are necessary following a tummy tuck. After the surgery, a compression garment supports the abdomen and helps reduce swelling. Restrictions will be placed on physical activity or exercise plans. The downtime allows the body to heal. The most common side effects include swelling, tenderness, and a scar. These will subside with time as the body heals. The scar will gradually fade. Following the physician’s orders ensures proper healing and optimal results.
A tummy tuck does not replace a healthy diet and exercise. However, the procedure can give patients the figures they desire. Contact The Institute of Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery in Fountain Valley, CA for a consultation. Call (714) 444-4011.